How do I build a crossbow?

General discussion about wilderness survival, all aspects (except topics covered in the other forums here).

Moderators: admin, Walter Muma

How do I build a crossbow?

Postby coon4492 » Wed May 06, 2009 8:28 pm

I've decided I want to add a crossbow to my arsenal and I want it to be a simple wooden crossbow. I searched the internet and I mostly found crap like build a mini pen crossbow or build a lego crossbow. I wasn't planning on getting the wood from nature rather a hardware store or lumber yard. What kind of wood should I get and how do I make the limbs of the crossbow I read something about boiling the wood too. Can I also get backing for the limbs at the hardware store? anyways I hope someone can help.
"The diference between danger and food supply is simply the presence of a killing tool."

- LDS
coon4492

Re: How do I build a crossbow?

Postby Kingoftheflock » Thu May 07, 2009 1:41 pm

youd want power to it. the orginal crossbows had a partial metal construction. go to a scrapyard and buy a car spring. the frame should be wooden, since its easier. the much more complicated part is getting the mechanisms to crank the arrow into place. again at the scrapyard, youd want to buy the part of an older car that youd use to open the window, that crank lever thingy, not just the lever itself, but the mechanism inside of the door that opens the window. thats all ive found out so far, other than that, youd want to get a trigger piece from an old gun, bbgun, or even an airsoft gun might work. im trying to get the materials, but since i cant drive for another 2 months, i dont think thats gonna happen. theres no way your gonna make an effective crossbow completely out of wood. the way i look at it, building a crossbow out of old car parts and broken guns might be the only kind of survival we can do in the future, when theres no wilderness left to run to.
Kingoftheflock

Postby coon4492 » Thu May 07, 2009 3:40 pm

thats not what I've seen wooden crossbows can have serious power to them you just have to build them right. I'm telling you king we could build some deadly weapons with just a trip to the lumber yard and a few metal pieces from the hardware store. I can't figure out the process of making the actual limbs that produce the power. I do however like your green :D idea of recycling pieces from a junk yard it would work very very well and we could save money it seems like a hardware store that sells lumber would be easier because its all there fresh and new. We can give the junk yard metal crossbow idea a try but you gotta explain it more to me.
"The diference between danger and food supply is simply the presence of a killing tool."

- LDS
coon4492

Postby LDS » Thu May 07, 2009 7:58 pm

You're doing it the hard way boys.

Building proper limbs is a time consuming process. Best to find good springs along the way, and that takes time and searching.

Easier to use surgical tubing or coil sytp springs, liike we used to have on screen doors.

There are places that supply crossbow limbs and componants.

Google midevil weapons, or weapons of the rennisanxe fair. I have even seen step by step instruction on the web.
Come to the dark side, we have cookies!
LDS

Postby Kingoftheflock » Thu May 07, 2009 10:30 pm

I do however like your green idea of recycling pieces from a junk yard it would work very very well

im going to punch you in the stomach joe

scrap yards got it cheap, me and my dad drove past there recently, and i saw that they got a few newer broken down cars in. id go for a car spring for the power, and something for the string. would inner tube work lds? ive made a few slingshots with the old inner tube of my dirt bike and theyve never broke. would a pull back and lock mechanism work better than a crank? theres no way im buring a crossbow, im making this thing. :twisted:
Kingoftheflock

Postby coon4492 » Sun May 10, 2009 12:14 pm

I just realized we could get leaf springs off of the trucks that are rusting in the park we could use those the rangers wouldn't care about a broken down truck from the 50's they don't use anymore.

- LDS
coon4492

Postby dixieangler » Sun May 10, 2009 4:56 pm

Gee. I just used a search engine to see what is there. Lots of results just Google it. Found this one right off from an old 1963 Science and Mechanics article somebody posted. It looks elaborate though. Uses a steel aircraft cable tied together with wire for a bow string and uses a spring steel bow.

http://www.elsewhere.org/journal/archiv ... -crossbow/

Whatever kind of thing you build, you two guys be careful.
- Robert M.

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengtheneth me." - Paul, c. A.D. 60 (Philippians 4:13)
dixieangler

Postby coon4492 » Sun May 10, 2009 5:17 pm

yea dixie I had found this when I used google but I had thought it was a toy I followed the link and read up on it and damn this thing can drive a 6 inch bolt into a target from 150ft away thats not bad. Its nice and small to so it would travel well. They have a complicated trigger system to it but I can make a simpler version all I need is the car spring and I'm making this. It would be even cooler if I made it an auto reloading pistol crossbow but that makes it more complicated.

- LDS
coon4492

Postby LDS » Sun May 10, 2009 6:23 pm

I guess I was about 14 when I put my first C-bow together. If i remember right the spring was from a junkyard salvage and came from a Ford Falcon or a Chevy II. That was 45 years ago so the details are fuzzy. I do remember the string was braided cable about 3/16" and the release device was a simple slot with a push up button.

I made the arrow from an old car radio antena. The old telescoping type they do not make any more. I slotted, pinned and rivited a sheetmetal point in the thing.

I shot that thing in one side and out the other on a rather large and substantial automotive product of the late 1950s. A '58 Pontiac I think it was, could have been an Olds. That was back when cars were made from 16 ga sheet metal and stood a good chance of deflecting 2.5 bazoka rounds. The arrow went through that car like a .22 through a soup can. We decided it would have skewered anyone in the front seat.

I did all of this under the supervision of a Grandfather that loved to worry my Mom to distraction. He was a trip! He taught me how to make knives too! He died in '65. If he had lived longer we could have gotten into some serious trouble.

You guys be careful.
Come to the dark side, we have cookies!
LDS

Postby coon4492 » Sun May 10, 2009 10:26 pm

yea dont worry were not going to put a crossbow bolt into anyone. I'm gonna get the spring I need off of an old truck thats either from the 50's or 60's. I'm going to make one of these pistols and a regular sized crossbow.

- LDS
coon4492

Postby Raiders2win » Mon May 11, 2009 3:23 pm

There is a great article on building a pistol crossbow in "The Backwoodsman". It's a great magazine that I would highly recommend. Back to the question, all of the crossbows I seen and made always use a T shaped piece of wood for the trigger mechanism. See Ron Hood's weapons videos. Just a recommendation.
Raiders2win

Postby Kingoftheflock » Mon May 11, 2009 7:25 pm

that helps lds, im surprised the military doesnt use something like a crossbow. probably becuase of the loading time. i just remembered something about a handheld crossbow, something about turning an old paint gun into the trigger-frame. not sure if its good info though, becuase i cant get my hands on one.
Kingoftheflock

Postby coon4492 » Tue May 12, 2009 4:24 pm

Raiders2win wrote:There is a great article on building a pistol crossbow in "The Backwoodsman". It's a great magazine that I would highly recommend.

Can I get the article online? I'll google their website

- LDS
coon4492

Postby Raiders2win » Wed May 13, 2009 3:18 pm

The article has many instructions and how to make it piece by piece. Email me at john.hixon@norfolk.gov and I will scan and send to you.
Raiders2win

Postby coon4492 » Wed May 13, 2009 4:20 pm

Thanks for scanning that for me raiders I shot an email your way.

- LDS
coon4492

Next

Return to General Survival Discussion