teepee or wigwam?

Discussion about primitive wilderness shelters.

Moderators: admin, Walter Muma

teepee or wigwam?

Postby coon4492 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:55 pm

Do you think its worth attempting to make a teepee out of deer hide (pennsylvania doesn't have buffalo) I know it would take a lot of deer skin to make a good teepee or should I just make a wigwam instead? (wigwams were used by the local indians in PA) I think Teepees look cool and they work well plus i could probably design it to be portable but a wigwam could be made quicker and would work just as well.
"The diference between danger and food supply is simply the presence of a killing tool."

- LDS
coon4492

Re: teepee or wigwam?

Postby LDS » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:12 pm

At $4 a sq foot for deerhide you are going to have an incredibly expensive shelter. Even if you kill them and tan them yourself it will take 50-100 hides to make a usable teepee. How many deer can you take each year in PA?

Many of the local native american reenactors make wigwams. One guy even totes his around on a 16' trailer and installs the cover when he gets in place. The cover is really dirty looking canvas.

At Ft Boonesboro, KY the volunteers erected several wigwans as permenant features of the site. The willow poles took root, sprouted leaves and took on a life of their own. :roll:

Most folk are using cavas covers. Painters tarps are cheap and easy to get. You can use a 50-50 mix of paint thinner and boiled linseed oil to waterproof them.
Come to the dark side, we have cookies!
LDS

Postby paul vallandigham » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:32 pm

The Tipi is a plains Indian structure, while the wigwam, generally, is for woodland Indians. There are some exceptions, but in general these are the rules of thumb. If you are re-enacting in the plains, west of Pennsylvania, and east of the Sierra Nevadas, the Tipi works. The wigwam works in the Eastern areas and West Coast Indian structures are similar. Of course, there are variations from the traditional round shape to the long houses of New York tribes. Decide what you want. You can buy a variety of canvas made Tipis from suppliers, and buy the poles needed to erect them. They come in different sizes, too. The Tipi is the Cadalac of tents, allowing a comfortable pit fire inside, air conditioning, and protection from wind storms that will blow over and down other tents and structures. But, I do not think a Tipi would be a proper structure to be raised in Eastern Kentucky, or in Pennsylvania, and east . If the early journals are correct, much of western Kentucky was also heavily wooded, although today there are wide open pastures for horse ranches, and even row crop farming in some areas. If you can get a short course from your Farm Bureau office, or the local bank mortgage department, or a university Geologist, or agronomist, on how to identify woodland soils form prairie soils, a quick look at any soil will tell you if the area was originally prairie, or woodlands. That can help you determine if your Tipi is an appropriate structure to use for a temporary home at that location.

I have read extensively about wigwams made from sheets of bark cut from large live trees, and tied to the frame in layers to shed water. This can hardly be done today, as large trees are too few and too far between. Using live bark for a temporary shelter, when you can use a man-made substance( canvas) makes little sense. Just as canoes can be made with various outer shells other than birch bark, and then pained to look like they are birch bark canoes, for re-enactments, shelter canvas can also be pained to look like bark. Then just tell the visitors what the real material is, and why you have refrained from using it today. You will have taught the uniformed a bit of living history, as well as a lesson in ecology. Its not every day you get to teach the public two good lessons in one presentation. :D
paul vallandigham

Postby Kortoso » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:03 pm

I don't know that the OP is a reenactor or experimenting with shelter.
A Wikiyup is like a tipi except you don't have to hold out for bison hide. In fact most modern tipis are made in canvas.
Kortoso

Postby coon4492 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:58 pm

yea i could always just use the canvas if i wanted a teepee but i want it to be primitive i might attempt to make a wigwam but i don't want to kill a bunch of trees. I can always just rebuild my wikiup there are a bunch of holes in it from a bad storm it collected rain water until the weight broke through it was probably stupid to use dead wood for the structure. My friend connor was out rebuilding it a bit but I was ready to abandon it. The wikiup was pretty big it worked really well should I just get out the tracker knife and rebuild that?
"The diference between danger and food supply is simply the presence of a killing tool."

- LDS
coon4492

Postby Kortoso » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:49 pm

?

The wood that you use for the structure will be dead no matter what you do. :)
Probably you mean "rotten" wood. Beggars can't be choosers, but if you have the time and space, select the most sound wood for your structure.
Kortoso

Postby coon4492 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:18 pm

yea It might have been bad cordage too. I used natural cordage that didn't work that well because most of those logs seemed to be strong and hard. They probably were rotted on the inside of the logs. When I examined the damage some of the logs snapped whch were rotten ones and the stupid cordage failed on me.

- LDS
coon4492

Postby Kingoftheflock » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:06 pm

this is coons friend connor

of course you shouldnt use dead wood i told you that when you first started making it, but ohh no we had to becuase we were doing it in a park that nobodies ever heard of. anyway for a few days when coon was too busy to work on it as he said i was rebuilding it. during the summer we found a whole field of long weeds and such and tried covering it with that, it worked for about...2 weeks i think? then well waddya know the weeds gathered a bunch of water and the front side collapsed. with our spirits broken we stopped it for awhile and then abandoned the rebuilding. then about a week ago i decided to rebuild it. i took off the broken wood replaced most of the damaged wood, stripped the weeds from it, and using my leatherman multitool (its small and it was hard) i cut down branches from every type of evergreen i could find and i managed to get a 4th of it done. one question though: how should i completely seal the siding? there are holes still that i cant seem to cover
Kingoftheflock

Postby coon4492 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:08 pm

what about our roof problem too what are we gonna do about that

- LDS
coon4492

Postby coon4492 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:11 pm

wait are we replacing the tall grass with evergreen branches now?

- LDS
coon4492

Postby Kingoftheflock » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:32 pm

yea basically i figured that the weeds soak up too much water which is the reason why it failed
Kingoftheflock

Postby coon4492 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:12 pm

yea LOL we can use my dead christmas tree branches ill bring them sunday we can get this thing done before the winter gets any colder. The tracker knife and a few hours is all we need to get this thing done theres more than enough evergreen branches.

- LDS
coon4492

Return to Shelter