Penobscot bow

Primitive style hunting - primitive-made bow & arrow, throwing sticks, spears, atlatl, fishing, traps and snares, stalking, etc.
*NO* discussion about guns or modern hunting weapons.

Moderators: admin, Walter Muma

Penobscot bow

Postby coon4492 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:14 pm

I saw a strange longbow design made by the penobscot indians from maine. If you never saw it before it has 2 other limb parts tied to the original limbs. Anyone ever make one of these does the extra limb part thing give it more power? I found a picture from google images. This one somebody made it isnt completely accurate historically but close enough.

"The diference between danger and food supply is simply the presence of a killing tool."

- LDS
coon4492

Re: Penobscot bow

Postby LDS » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:13 pm

similar design used by some Eskimo tribes.
Come to the dark side, we have cookies!
LDS

Postby dixieangler » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:01 am

Most double stave bows I've seen have the outer stave bow curving in the opposite direction to the main stave bow. I've read (Field Guide to Wilderness Survival) where they are usually temporary bows and cut from green wood for quick bows rather long term bows. The power is said to be less than a single stave bow but might provide enough to down a deer. Only the main bow stave string is unstrung.
- Robert M.

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengtheneth me." - Paul, c. A.D. 60 (Philippians 4:13)
dixieangler

Postby coon4492 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:34 am

so in theory you could construct a double stave bow in a wilderness survival situation?
"The diference between danger and food supply is simply the presence of a killing tool."

- LDS
coon4492

Postby dixieangler » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:37 pm

coon4492 wrote:so in theory you could construct a double stave bow in a wilderness survival situation?

According to Tom Brown Jr. in the Wilderness Survival book, yes. He also says that if you are going to take such pains to make the makeshift double bow, you might as well start from scratch and make a longer-term survival bow that is more reliable.
- Robert M.

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengtheneth me." - Paul, c. A.D. 60 (Philippians 4:13)
dixieangler

Postby coon4492 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:32 am

I might make an atlatl before a bow in a survival situation just because it would be easier. The only hard part to the atlatl is making a straight flexible spear and finding something to use as stabilizers. I wouldnt use it for small game though I would have it at the ready incase I run into a large game animal. I would trap small game and use a throwing stick.

- LDS
coon4492

Postby Raiders2win » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:28 pm

First, very interesting bow. In the wild you would look for tracks to determine what you can hunt. Look around water sources because all animals must drink and most animals will return at or before sunset. Your weapon choice will depend on what kind of animal you are hunting and how far away you can attempt to strike the animal with your weapon. I find that some branches stacked as camoflaugh down wind of where the animal will enter and a quickie bow is a good choice. How do you like your meat well done or medium?
Raiders2win

Postby coon4492 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:26 pm

yea but sometimes animal tracks aren't so easy to identify. The deer in my woods leave millions of tracks everywhere they walk over the smaller animals tracks like the raccoon or fox and it makes it hard to tell what walked by here. If I was trying to survive in that forest the obvious choice would be to make something deadly to a deer like an atlatl.

- LDS
coon4492

Postby Raiders2win » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:26 pm

Point well taken Coon. However, tracks are easiest to read around water because of the mud. Also, all grazing animals must drink water after grazing. I would also set up snares and maybe some traps around high traffic paths.
Raiders2win

Postby coon4492 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:53 pm

my family only owns like 2 acres but those 2 acres are were a field meets a forest so you can imagine the high traffic of animals coming through there. Behind my house is a big corn field and theres a lake and a creek right down the road its good hunting but its also good practice as far as identifying animal tracks. it gets really muddy in my forest too so its been a good learning experience all around. I can go hunting up in the pocono mountains and never see a deer but sometimes after school I'll be in my house and I look out the window and a 10 point bucks standing in my woods.

- LDS
coon4492

Postby Kingoftheflock » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:30 pm

I can go hunting up in the pocono mountains and never see a deer but sometimes after school I'll be in my house and I look out the window and a 10 point bucks standing in my woods

and if you do see a deer in the poconos it would be near a ski resort full of yuppies.
Kingoftheflock

Postby coon4492 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:07 pm

lol yea did I ever tell you the time I was rifle hunting and there was a random small suburb in the middle of the game lands. I'm looking though my binoculars and I see a kids playground I checked the map (which was up to date) and It said I was still on game lands. Its insane the poconos are screwed up theres better hunting towards central PA bigger deer and I think elk are up there too.

- LDS
coon4492

Postby Kingoftheflock » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:56 pm

the only place in western pa that has anything is harrisburg. the urbanization around here is really pissing me off. PAs a weird state. about an hour northeast of here there are farmhouses with 10 acres or more priced at around 100g. i thinkits becuase we are too close to new jersey. stupid state, horribly strict laws but good location.
Kingoftheflock

Postby coon4492 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:32 pm

The people from New Jersey who move in our area are the ones who buy the suburbs or build them. NJ natives don't like the woods as much for good reason between the jersey devil and all the "pineys" I would be clearing those forests too. :D New jerseys like that bad neighbor thats why southeastern pennsylvanians nicknamed it "the garbage state". New jersey in my opinion isn't horrible they just have strict laws like you said same with Newyork. Those states need to really lighten up on some of their laws and I'd probably visit there. Atleast we also border ohio and west virgina so its not all bad king :P

- LDS
coon4492

Postby Kingoftheflock » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:41 pm

funny thing is new jerseys the state that is trying to call for a 3rd continental congress becuase they think the countries laws and morals arent right. wierd how things are working out.
Kingoftheflock

Return to Primitive-Style Hunting & Trapping