breakdown recurve bow

Primitive style hunting - primitive-made bow & arrow, throwing sticks, spears, atlatl, fishing, traps and snares, stalking, etc.
*NO* discussion about guns or modern hunting weapons.

Moderators: admin, Walter Muma

breakdown recurve bow

Postby coon4492 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:25 pm

I know some people like to carry survival guns like the AR7 or the M6 scout but I was thinking about carrying a survival bow instead. It's a personal choice and not for everybody but I'm very confident with a bow I shoot my bows everyday and hunt all kinds of game with them. In my area of PA there have been alot of suburbs being built everywhere so I'm not able to fire guns as much as I use to so naturally I shifted to using a bow and ended up getting very good with it. I'm looking for a break down recurve bow one that can be taken apart into 3 pieces and stored away in a pack. So far Kingoftheflock told me to look into martin Bows and they actually have a nice recurve I'm thinking about getting. Its called the jaguar breakdown recurve bow its about 2 pounds (the weight of the material) and dismantles into 3 parts easily. Its about 50lbs and it was fairly cheap for a recurve bow. Its gotten really really good reviews from what I've read but I was wondering if there were better choices of break down recurve bows anyone knew about otherwise I'm just getting this one.
"The diference between danger and food supply is simply the presence of a killing tool."

- LDS
coon4492

Re: breakdown recurve bow

Postby dixieangler » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:26 am

Martin Hatfield recurve take-down? USD$ 893.99 :shock:

They don't even list a price for the Jaguar that I can see. I would venture that even if it uses modern materials, maybe a little lower but its probably still pretty pricey. Most places that don't list prices for their products mean that they are fairly expensive. LOL
- Robert M.

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengtheneth me." - Paul, c. A.D. 60 (Philippians 4:13)
dixieangler

Postby coon4492 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:46 pm

lol yea its usually a bad sign when theres no price. Cabelas was selling the jaguar for like $500 $600 but low prices can also be a bad sign :shock:. The martin hatfield is slightly more expensive but it's a better bow for me. The hatfield is nicer looking and its built in a more traditional style. The jaguar seems better to a compound bow hunter shifting into tradtional archery hunting. Its got that mossy oak camo on part of it and places for compound bow sights to be mounted. Jaguars not a bad bow but the hatfield has a nicer traditional look and feel to it where as the jaguar reminds me of my compound bow. By the way dixie whats your opinion on those pistol crossbows they're fairly cheap and small kingoftheflock has one. Might be just enough power to kill a small bird or a squirrel.
"The diference between danger and food supply is simply the presence of a killing tool."

- LDS
coon4492

Postby dixieangler » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:09 am

coon4492 wrote:By the way dixie whats your opinion on those pistol crossbows they're fairly cheap and small kingoftheflock has one. Might be just enough power to kill a small bird or a squirrel.

No idea. Never used one. I only have experience using recurve and compound bows.
- Robert M.

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengtheneth me." - Paul, c. A.D. 60 (Philippians 4:13)
dixieangler

Postby LDS » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:08 pm

I have a Bear takedown from the old days. The only place I can see an advantage to it is in air travel. A hard case for It would fit better in the baggage.

In normal life I find the easiest transported bow is a normal nonrecurve flatbow carried in a tube made form PVC pipe. I have one with a screw on cap that i have used for years. It will even hold some arrows and protect the entire contents from impact and weather.

I have had the pistol crossbows too. Even the 80# model is not good enough for big game. The bolts are too light. They would do for rabbit, grouse, squirrel inside of 20 yards. They are not that much smaller than a full sized compound so I would pick the full sized bow. They are as big as a 44 mag pistol any way you measure them and provide the same choice. For just a couple of pounds more you can have a long range shooter.
Come to the dark side, we have cookies!
LDS

Postby coon4492 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:37 pm

your pvc case ideas awesome. I have a fred bear longbow and I didn't have a case for it. I was thinking about buying an ocean fly fishing rod case to use but your ideas cheaper and will work just as well.

- LDS
coon4492

Postby LDS » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:20 pm

You can buy all the fittings at Lowes or Home Depot and put the whole thing together for about $10.
LDS

Postby johnep » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:34 am

thought you would like to see superb pics of a chap building a long bow
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/how-i ... bow-16465/
johnep
johnep
johnep

Postby Running-Free » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:00 am

Wow! thats nice stuff!... I always like to think i'd be able to do that, given a workshop like that... Sure i'd make some stuff, but that takes skill and knowhow...
Running-Free

Postby Kingoftheflock » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:56 pm

my great uncles got a woodshop up in RI that hes built up over the years, it would be interesting to try something like that there, unfortunately id probably just get in the way and besides im not very patient...
Kingoftheflock

Postby coon4492 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:43 pm

my "workshop" is a small old messy barn with various tools spread all over the place I'd like access to a better one someday.

- LDS
coon4492

Postby LDS » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:45 pm

I used to live near a man named Don Edds who was the origional editor for Primitive Archer Magazine. I am glad to say that he is the person that taught my son to build bows and not me. I lost track of him and I am afraid he passed away, he was in bad health and that was 15 years ago.

He built some fantastic bows, real works of art.

He favorite saying was, "It don't matter what it looks like, It's still just a stick with a string on it."

I try to keep that in mind when I start going overboard with the bows.
LDS

Postby Kingoftheflock » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:04 pm

I try to keep that in mind when I start going overboard with the bows.

you mean those lemonwood staffs you have from before the cuban embargo? show us how they turn out
Kingoftheflock

Return to Primitive-Style Hunting & Trapping